Black screen Vista boot up error

Posted by John Onam | 8:18 AM

If you got a black screen that says: WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY , then you are in the right place.

I have had this problem and have been one of the lucky few to get round it.
Although in my case, I do not know the cause, if you have encountered the same problem, you will need to follow the same steps like I did to get around it successfully.

I got this issue early in the morning after booting my system, the system started up but then, after that i got this 'black screen of death', I then went on to many forums to find out the best options for solving this, I knew there was a definite way to fix the problem with a full destructive recovery with the recovery partition you get with vista, however i didn't want to lose all my data.

So I switched OFF my computer restarted it.

I tapped F9 continuously to open Boot Menu.

When the menu came up, I tapped F8 and got several menu options.

The top option should be 'repair my computer', Click on it.

You should now have a very basic log in window which has your Username, (if you have no password just press enter, but if you do type it in and press enter).

Now you should have several options of recovering or repairing your PC.

The most successful so far is a normal windows restore which takes the computer back a few days, I would recommend a week if available.

Once completed, Click Restart to start up your computer. This should get rid of the 'black screen of death'.

Once logged on run command prompt with administrative properties then type in sfc /scannow

This will hoefully find anything else which is corrupt. I have found the main reason for this is actually vista's own way of performing better... on most people with this problem I spoke to had an option enabled on the hard drive by default : 'Enable write caching on the disk' : 'this setting improves disk performance, but a power outage or equipment failure might result in data loss or curruption' this option can be found by going into device manager - find your primary hard drive, right click, properties, policies. this is the closest ive found to a cause of this 'black screen of death'

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-176196-black-screen-vista-boot-up-error

0 comments